E 269500 - N 6106500
Port Noarlunga is located in the
City of Noarlunga (Adelaide metropolitan area, near the mouth of the Onkaparinga
The Port Noarlunga whale fishery
was also known as the Onkaparinga fishery. The establishment was operated
and owned by Mr Heppenstall who employed 25 men and 2 catch boats. The
station was established in 1841. The station was not successful and closed
at the end of 1843 without any significant earnings. However much has been
learned from the whalers who worked for Mr Heppenstall and their movements
were recorded thoroughly in the Police Correspondence Files. Information
recorded includes their rowdy nature, smuggling enterprises, the discovery
of a drowning victim (who was employed at the fishery) and the seizure
of a whale carcass by the police which had washed up down the coast. Mr
Heppenstall is believed to have built the first permanent structure at
Noarlunga, a residence which was named "Whaleview."
No archaeological remains have been
found and it is likely that with the development that has taken place in
Noarlunga and continues to take place, physical remnants have been lost
in the process.
Kostoglou, P. and McCarthy, J. 1991.
Whaling and Sealing Sites in South Australia, Australian Institute for
Maritime Archaeology, Special Publication No:6, p38.
By Rebecca O'Reilly
Return to South
Australian Site Index