E 697000 - N 6015000
The exact location of the whaling
station of Doyles Bay is unknown, however it is possible that it was established
in Vivonne Bay, Kangaroo Island.
Doyles Bay was used as a whaling
station around 1844 and employed the ship Elizabeth which was captain by
Captain Thompson. One documentary piece of evidence remains of the Doyles
Bay whaling station in the South Australian Register, 25 September, 1844:
"On the south side of the Island,
Messrs Hagen and Hart have two Fisheries, one at Flour Cask Bay, nearly
opposite American River, and the other at Doyles Bay thirty five miles
to the west. The party at Flour cask Bay have caught several fish, but
the other party has been unsuccessful."
Little archaeological evidence remains
to conclusively state where the actual whaling site was established. Kostoglou
and McCarthy (1991) have asserted that the atation was established in Vivonne
"The location of this site on
Kangaroo Island is unknown, however an approximate scaled measurement based
on the reference given below would place it in Vivonne Bay, if the
'Flour Cask Bay' station was in reality located at Flour Cask Bay. An early
well site was found at Vivonne Bay while conducting this survey:
(Kostoglou and McCarthy, 1991, p 29)
Nothing was located during the 1997
Flinders University survey nor has anything been found in past surveys
conducted by Kostoglou and McCarthy accept for the well mentioned above.
Nelson (1997) concludes that it would be reasonable to assume that this
site was no more successful than any of the other sites on Kangaroo Island
during this time. If it had been successful more historical evidence would
have been located in archival sources or on the island itself.
Kostoglou, P. and McCarthy, J. 1991. Whaling and Sealing
Sites in South Australia. Australian Institute for Maritime Archaeology,
Special Publication No:6.
Nelson, N. 1997. Right Place, Wrong Time: The archaeology
of Bay Whaling, Kangaroo Island, South Australia 1840-1845. Unpublished
Honours Thesis, Flinders University of South Australia.
South Australian Register, 25/9/1844.
By Rebecca O'Reilly
Return to South Australian Whaling Site