E 535000 - N 6181000
Coffin Bay is located on the Eyre
Peninsula to the west of Avoid Bay.
There is little documentation regarding
the whaling station established at Coffin Bay, however one reference comes
from Observer, 7 January, 1899:
A trip to the West Coast
"Some miles further along the
(Horse) peninsula there is an old whaling station, and from the heaps of
whalebone and general surroundings, it must have been carried out successfully...The
shores of the west coast were evidently known to sealers and whalers for
some years antecedent to its settlement by whites. There are no records
of their nationalities or ports of trade, but there are traditions that
a fleet of French vessel paid coffins Bay a visit annually and took away
cages of blubber and oil. The remains of their camps, furnaces and signal
stations are still to be found at various points of vantage."
No physical evidence has been located
as yet to prove the exact location of the whaling station described in
the above document of Coffin Bay.
Kostoglou, P. and McCarthy, J. 1991.
Whaling and Sealing Sites in South Australia, Australian Institute for
Maritime Archaeology, Special Publication No:6, p 16.
By Rebecca O'Reilly
Return to South Australian Whaling Site