What is TESOL?
TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and is the academic discipline that deals with the teaching and learning of the English language.
TESOL is an exciting and dynamic field that is becoming increasingly important as English continues to spread around the world and demand for English language learning rises. Some of the areas that TESOL scholars deal with are:
- the structure and use of English
- the role of English in the world
- how people learn a second language
- teaching methodologies
- materials development
- language testing
- the nature and teaching of speaking, listening, reading and writing
- teacher training
- technology and language teaching
- communication and teaching across cultures